HeARTs Speak is founded on the passion to change and better the lives of animals that is shared by aspiring and professional artists, animal shelter and rescue employees and volunteers, and engaged citizens.
We live by the tenet of respectful collaboration among our members and the many people they touch in carrying out our collective mission. We encourage and support all outside endeavors of our members. HeARTs Speak works through our dedication to helping all our members succeed, grow, and showcase their talents, which in turn helps animals in need and betters the lives of the people around them.
As a Member of HeARTs Speak, I pledge to abide by and satisfy all of the following conditions:
- To communicate truthfully and with integrity, both within and outside the organization.
- To not discriminate against or refuse professional help to anyone on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or national origin.
- To cultivate an attitude of humility in our work, as we are dedicating our work to something greater than ourselves.
- To support all HeARTs Speak members and honor their work.
- To neither malign nor disrespect colleagues or other professionals and to always behave professionally and cordially when representing HeARTs Speak and when talking to or about other HeARTs Speak members.
- To avoid opportunistic self-promotion within our group or to knowingly withhold information regarding opportunities to which other HeARTs Speak members would benefit. To share information regarding other members’ goods or services and to not let personal opinions interfere with the larger goals of HeARTs Speak.
- To never plagiarize another professional’s website, photographs, written words, logo designs or other artistic mediums or creative creations.
Respect the integrity of the animals they work with:
- To treat animals with the utmost respect, patience, and kindness, ensuring the safety and well-being of the animals takes precedence over any photograph, and to reward positive behavior rather than scolding or punishing.
- To be accurate and comprehensive in the representation of subjects. Editing should maintain the integrity of the photographic images’ content and context. Images should not be manipulated in any way that can misrepresent subjects and mislead viewers. (This also pertains to paintings and books)
Serve as ambassadors for animal adoption:
- HeARTs Speak can not support people who breed animals.*
- To promote responsible pet ownership and to consider adoption as the first option. If a certain breed is desired, breed specific rescues should be considered before buying a dog from a reputable breeder.
- To inform those looking to adopt on the pros and cons of adoptions, to teach them about potential behavior problems when rescuing a dog and to provide any tips regarding trainers in the area, if possible. To inform adopters and animal-related community about existing local rescue groups from which they can adopt.
- To challenge the status quo without becoming a polarizing voice in the no-kill animal movement.
- To share information regarding rescue fund-raising opportunities in their area.
Work responsibly and respectfully with animal rescues and shelters:
- To respect the decisions and requirements of animal control and shelter facilities.
- To abide by all written contracts and/or verbal agreements entered into with a shelter and/or rescue.
- To respond to requests from shelters/rescues promptly. If unable to return calls promptly, to make alternative provisions to have calls handled by another member.
*This also means that HeARTs Speak will not accept applicants for membership who breed animals.